Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Star Wars Birthday Party

My son is turning 6 and wanted a Star Wars Birthday Party.  I was a little scared because I had never seen or ever planned to see Star Wars or pretend to know anything about it.  Luckily, he told me this about 6 weeks ago so I had some time to do some research.  And I had my awesome right hand man (my hubby) who happens to be a Star Wars fan.

 
The Cake: (try to ignore the seams in the fondant)
Make a regular 9 x 13 cake.  Cut into 3 strips and lay end to end.  Frost the "light" part of the light saber and cover with Marshmallow Fondant.  Then frost the handle with gray frosting (vanilla frosting with a little black food coloring) and pipe black frosting for details. 
This was a team effort with my husband.  He is awesome!
They ate their cake along with their Yoda Soda.  Yoda Soda is this... green Kool Aid.  And if you can't find green Kool Aid like I couldn't last night at Walmart, buy the invisible Kool Aid and add green food coloring.  It was really cool (and simple) and the kids loved it.

 Party Favors:
Buy a pool noodle, cut in half and wrap the handle with duct tape and electrical tape.  It's that easy!
I also had bags for the kids with glow sticks, glow in the dark stars, and "asteroids" which were actually a Cosmic Brownie, a fun size Milky Way, and Fruit Snacks wrapped in aluminum foil that they had to hunt for.

 The Jedi Mission Training Check List:
It was nice to have this to let the kids see exactly how the party was going to go.  And on the other side we had a picture of Obi Wan (?) that they could color while we waited for the other guests to arrive.

When we were finished with our list, we did cake and ice cream and presents.  It went great!  However, it was harder for the kids to make their own light sabers than I had anticipated.  We basically just ended up making them for them.  If I were to do it over again, I would have made them beforehand.

After taking the Jedi Oath, they were awarded this diploma.

We took a picture of each child receiving their diploma. I'm going to print the pictures and send it to them with their thank you card. 
I was a little nervous about how this would all play out but it went very well.  The kids would have been perfectly happy if we had just given them the foam light sabers and just let them go for 2 hours.  They were totally into that part.

4 comments:

  1. Well, that beats the heck out of any birthday party I ever threw, but then I'm horribly lazy when it comes to stuff like that! (Like you didn't know that.) I'm sure glad you had Steve there to run the show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! You keep doing great parties. I did one for Maya when she was 4 and then that was the end of that!

    Love the cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you all get the Jedi completion certificates? I want to do a party for my son who turns 8 in December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that my husband found a basic certificate online and then added in the rest. I'm not sure I'm any help, I'm not very good in that department. Good luck and Happy Birthday to your little guy!

      Delete